The Museum Island Hombroich in Neuss, Germany, is both a park and a museum combining architecture, art and nature on over 62 acres of meadowland. The inception of the Museum Insel Hombroich occurred in 1982 when real estate agent and art collector Karl Heinrich Müller purchased Rosa Haus ("Pink House"), an overgrown industrialist's villa with garden, which was built in 1816. Müller's intention was to support local artists and architects. Landscape architect Bernhard Korte, who was commissioned to redesign the park, restored the old gardens and created minimalist landscapes. From 1982 to 1994 sculptor Erwin Heerich created eleven exhibition pavilions, which Müller called "chapels in the landscape". Heerich's elemental sculptures became the design base for these gallery pavilions.

Using Format